Damper Lift Problem

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon Sep 17 10:41 MDT 2001

Hi Avery-

The genuine Steinway damper lever flange pivot points move in an arc when
the genuine Steinway damper lift tray moves.  This changes the geometry of
the damper levers.  If I remember right this is most severe in a genuine
Steinway D.

The tray drops down and the levers tip up in front, hanging on the dampers.
This might be enough to delay damper lift from the key as you describe.

If this is right, when you return the damper tray  to its original position,
key lift should be restored automatically.

That's my kind of damper regulation!  (If it's my lucky day.)

Hope it's your lucky day. You are very wise not to turn those flange screws
too quickly.

Best,
Ed Sutton