Bosendorfer Bass String Question

Ray T. Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Wed Sep 19 07:21 MDT 2001

Good Morning, Colleagues!

I have a Bosendorfer 6' 7" with a broken bass string #12.  I ordered a
replacement from Vienna via Roger W.  The string is correctly labeled.  I
went to install it last evening, and found the winding to be about 2 cm
shorter than the other string in the 2 string unison.  I was concerned that
it might mismatch with the other string, so delayed installing it.  When I
got home, I measured it with the original string, and found only about a 1
cm discrepancy.  Apparently, the original had stretched at least another cm
when it was in the piano.  Will the new one stretch even more upon
installation?

The question:  can I expect this string to stretch enough pulling it up to
pitch to match the length of the other winding?  If it doesn't, how much
difference will it make in the tone of this unison?  Should I send the
original to Bosendorfer for duplication?  The owner is a concert artist who
has given world wide concert tours for many years, and still does so.
Actually this is her second piano, the first being a Steinway D.  I want to
get it right for her.

I'm bring this question to you experts, Newton, Ron, Ed, et. al. first,
because I know Roger W. is in the hospital at this time.

BTW, with air freight this string's cost is $82.  So you can see that I
didn't want to cut the waste and install without being sure.

Thanks so much for your kind assistance.  Hope all are having a good day!

Ray
--
Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL

The difficult, I do right away.  The impossible takes a little longer.