Bosendorfer Bass String FIY

Jonathan W Edwards jwea@juno.com
Thu Sep 20 09:14 MDT 2001

I recently replaced one string of a bichord on a 6'7" Bosendorfer. I had
Mapes duplicate the broken string and make
a duplicate of the other string from my measurements. I did this with the
understanding with the owner, who is very
picky and protective of her piano, that if Mapes strings were not
satisfactory, we would go ahead and get factory-made strings from
Bosendorfer. I replaced the broken string, and, as an experiment, left it
paired with the  original string of the bichord. (I almost always replace
both strings of a bichord at the same time.) I can't tell the difference
between the two strings; they sound the same, and tune the same. It has
been about three months, and I've pulled the string up to pitch a couple
of times since putting it on. Maybe we just got lucky with this one. The
customer is pleased with the sound, and it saved a lot of money, so our
small gamble paid off this time, but we were prepared to order
Bosendorfer strings if necessary.

Jonathan Edwards
Emory University Piano Technician
jwea@juno.com