capo-hardening?

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Sun Sep 23 18:14 MDT 2001

Thanks all, for the help so far.

This particular piano has been re-strung, and all "anti-zing" remedies I'm
aware of; exhausted.

What I may be even more interested in, is whether anyone has ever had the
capo-hardening done, with the plate in!?  (treble de-strung)

Better yet, does anyone know a very tiny welder who would like to make
history?  :>)

best regards,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Bdshull@aol.com
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 7:13 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: capo-hardening?

Hi, Mark,

I used a local welder who had experience in TIG welding.  The TIG device
will
only heat a small area, although the temperature is still extremely high.
There is considerable control.  He was able to reflow the outer v-bar
surface
to a fairly smooth contour, requiring almost no grinding or filing to dress
the surface.   My thinking is that the less material "re-flowed" the better
to maintain the proper dimension, and the TIG welder only affects a few mils
of the surface.

Based on Roger's post, I'm guessing the key is the skill of the welder, not
just the type of welding device used.

You are probably right about your assessment about the V-bar, but if that
assessment is based on zinging strings it may be just the strings which are
at fault.  Replacement of strings is the best solution there.  On the other
hand, some v-bars were pretty soft from the beginning and may have broken
down some in heavy use.
My metallurgy knowledge is non-existent, but I wonder about the hardness of
cast iron at the v-bar from normal surface cooling at the time of
manufacture, vs. torch-hardening and/or TIG reflowing.

Bill Shull

In a message dated 9/21/01 4:04:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,