capo-hardening?

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon Sep 24 07:27 MDT 2001

Roger-
    When I think about how easy it is to drill through the plate once the
drill bit breaks through the skin, and how thin 1mm is, I thank my guardian
angel for keeping me -very- light handed with file and abrasive paper!  I
hadn't really thought about how different the bearing surface is from the
rest of the plate.
    And this would mean that if the plate was heavily filed during the first
fitting, there might be much less than 1mm case hardening remaining, or even
that the original bearing surface could have been soft iron. Yes?
    Would this be more likely to happen at the section ends? My impression
is that the first capo note is the most prone to zings.
    I have a very vague idea of how sand casting is done, and no idea of
what V pro casting is.
    Keep the "trivia" coming. Maybe we can get another article from you?
    Thanks!
    (By the way, I've not heard from Nina this morning)
        Ed S.