Steinway damper pedal noise

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 27 20:49 MDT 2001

My current pet peeve is the damper pedal noise that can come from the bass
end block that serves as the mount for damper tray.

Its corner position provides several surfaces that the block can move
against enough to make extra noise. I've thought of bushing the surfaces of
the block to lessen the noise possibilities, but there is no clearance to
get in and work on the block.

Does anyone have any magic wands to throw at the situation?

I've never tried this, just wondering, if you take off the treble end block,
can you move the tray far enough to let the bass end pin clear its block,
even with all the dampers still attached?

Any ideas?

Kent Swafford