Ballistol

Thu Sep 27 14:22 MDT 2001

"Ray T. Bentley" wrote:

> The website for ballistol says that it leaves a protective oil film that
> prevents dirt from sticking.  That and other things in the description lead
> me to think it is a mineral oil with carriers.  Isn't that the basic
> ingredient in the old center pin lubricants sold by the supply houses.  BTW
> mineral oil is sold for internal use as a laxative.  I'm skeptical. It's
> hard to believe that the European community has been using a 90 year old
> product that we are just now finding out about.  I would proceed with
> caution.  It's my feeling that the McLubes and Protek products serve us
> well.

While I will be the first to agree that the European techs can often be seen as
much more "traditionalist" then many American techs are, I would like to point
out that this isnt necessarilly a bad thing. Actually I think its great that
here much is remembered that was forgotten and sometimes wrongly discarded long
ago in America, and that in America there is a willingness to try out new
ideas, almost to the degree of becoming reckless sometimes. The two different
styles can be mixed to yield a wealth of knowledge for all concerned.

Ballistol is a fine product and no one need worry about using it.  It used to
be in many American toolboxes before the phrase Hi Tech got invented. And its
been in many European boxes for at least a hundred years.... me thinks in that
time one would have discovered any detrimentals of note had they been there.
McLude and Protek are fine products as well. Teflon is also great stuff...

JMVFUN

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.