budget

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:38:45 -0600

Hi Wim,
	Here's something from my archives (you can find the thread, which was
parts/supplies budgets, by checking the caut list archives).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

PS My own current budget (allocated to me from the department) is a
whopping $600/year for about 80 pianos and 3 or 4 harpsichords (or hso's).
This is supplemented by the music department billing other University
entities for my services - the large performance hall, dance, theater,
president's office, etc. This augments the figure to about $2500/year. My
chair tells me he is almost certain the upper administration will approve
our request for a new course fee of $5/credit hour for all music dept
courses, targeted at pianos. This will generate $40,000 to $60,000/year,
but the bulk will go to piano replacement.

Archived post, 5/4/99:
Recently, I posted a querry to the list regarding annual budgeted amounts
for parts/supplies/tools/etc at other institutions of higher learning (and
lower funding :)

I recieved approx. 8 responses.  Few of these budgets were identical in
the types of expenses they covered but I ran a per/piano average as
best I could.

I would have loved to include the Univ of Michigan budget with its, as yet,
un-plumbed depths; it would have done wonders for the average!

For what its worth, the extremely (!) un-scientific average came to:

$55 per piano (per year).

(my thanks to all who replied to my querry.  The above figure looked
mighty impressive next to WSU's figure of $6/piano!  We'll see if it
turns the right heads here.)

Regards,

Alan Crane, RPT
School of Music