budget

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:14:55 -0400

Wim,
It's in there, as a percentage (5-10%) of the replacement cost of your
inventory.

According to that, my annual budget should be between $150K and $300K
(including salary) for a $3 million inventory, but it ain't.  Last fiscal
year was the first year I had a budget.  I get the recital fees, and I can
charge other departments for piano service and have that money go in there.
Without spending much of it all year, I had about $3000 (0.1%) by the end
of the year (123 pianos, 2 fortepiano reproductions, and a handful of
harpsichords).

We've got it in an account which doesn't have to be emptied at the end of
the year.  But I don't get a "debit" card, and it costs me 8% to use it.

I'm not sure we'd want to include the average full time salary.  Perhaps
some sort of "guidance" into comparing with local private sector earnings
levels would be good at some point.
Jeff

>Based on the information from Fred and Alan, as per their posts from the
>past, has the idea of including some sort of budget figure in the
>Guidelines? In as much as the committee has a guideline on how many pianos
>tuners it takes to screw in a light bulb, perhaps administration should
>have a some guidelines as to how much money it takes to maintain those
>light bulbs. And if we're going to go that far, how about if we include
>the average full time salary. These figures, of course, would need to be
>updated every few years.
>
> Wim

Jeff Tanner, RPT
Piano Technician