budget

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 11:36:18

Hi Wim,

Perhaps the question should be "What is the minimum budget that will allow
our school to gradually improve the level of the existing pianos?" Is there
not a formula that could be applied? Life span of piano 30 years--with
hammer+shank replacement every 5 years, restringing after 7.5 and new pin
block at 15, for example? Add all the parts cost needed over lifetime of
instrument divide by 30 and mulitply by the number of instruments owned.

Parts / 30 X pianos = yearly miminum parts budget

The only thing I am certain of is that most schools don't have a parts
budget that is nearly high enough to maintain the instruments at a high
performance level. If you look at the tuning situation in Brandon,
Manitoba, where they have had humidity control on every instrument for
quite a while it would be sensible to invest in units for the pianos.

At 12:46 PM 8/8/2003 EDT, you wrote:
>Based on the information from Fred and Alan, as per their posts from the
>past, has the idea of including some sort of budget figure in the
>Guidelines? In as much as the committee has a guideline on how many pianos
>tuners it takes to screw in a light bulb, perhaps administration should
>have a some guidelines as to how much money it takes to maintain those
>light bulbs. And if we're going to go that far, how about if we include the
>average full time salary. These figures, of course, would need to be
>updated every few years.
>
> Wim

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/