Blaster Worm

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:43:51 -0500

List,

Quite a few on our campus have been hit by this. Thankfully,
I'd installed the patch some time ago so I've had no problems.

Below is a link to our IT (Information Technology) page about
it in case anyone is interested.

There are a couple of other sites about it, also.

 >Blaster Worm Hits UH
 >
 >Some campus computer systems have been severely affected by the Blaster
 >worm, which is also known as the LovSan worm.  Computers targeted by
 >this worm include the following Microsoft operating systems:
 >
 >     Windows NT 4.0
 >     Windows 2000
 >     Windows XP
 >     Windows Server 2003
 >
 >If your computer cannot connect to the network, is receiving System
 >Shutdown or Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error messages, is
 >rebooting repeatedly, or is slow or unresponsive during a Windows
 >Update, it may be due to the Blaster worm.
 >
 >Information Technology has identified a number of steps to address the
 >problem.  A detailed description of the problem, symptoms, and solutions
 >is available at <http://www.uh.edu/blasterworm>.

Another one going around is:

VBS.DDV.B, a worm virus. The subject is random
characters & an attachment named either
Win32system.vbs or Winsystem32.vbs.

Detection and removal information at:

www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.ddv.b.html

Keep those Windows systems (especially) and your
virus protection updated!!!!!!!!!! For your sake
as well as ours. :-)

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music