history of tuning Pythagorean

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:41:21 -0600

	A couple relatively brief sources are articles in the New Groves (big,
multi-volume reference book on music and musicians) with articles on
Pythagorus and on Pythagorean tuning; and more briefly in the Harvard
Dictionary of Music. Any college or university music library should have
both.
	Pythagorus is mostly known to us through Aristotle, who commented on many
of his predecessors and contemporaries. The general lore that came down to
us about Pythagorus, in reference to music, has to do with whole number
ratios as they pertain to musical intervals. Particularly the ratios 2 : 1
(octave), 3 : 2 (5th), 4 : 3 (4th) and the derivative 9 : 8 (second), which
is the difference between where the 4th and the 5th lie within the octave.
These ratios were seen in terms of length of string, or possibly weight of
object (there is an apocryphal story about Pythagorus hearing two metal
smiths hammering against a couple anvils, which produced a tonal difference
of a 5th. And that he weighed them and found the ratio of their weights to
be 3 : 2).
	This general information was very much a part of medieval thinking, and
music was one of the seven Liberal Arts of the time, closely associated
with astronomy. Both were studied in numerical terms, dealing with ratios.
The problem of dividing the octave was puzzled over for centuries by many
minds, and the obsession has continued to modern times. Pythagorus noted
that a "circle of 5ths" doesn't quite equal an octave, but comes
tantalizingly close. 3 : 2 simply won't resolve to 2 : 1. He also is
credited with discovering the "irrational" ratios - ratios between the
diagonal and side of a square or between diagonal and circumference of a
circle. He proved that these ratios couldn't be resolved to whole numbers,
no matter how large (an idea we take for granted, and see as endlessly
receding numbers past a decimal point). Quite an amazing breakthrough in
thought, and one that he found very difficult to accept.
	Anyway, bottom line, besides perfect 5ths and 4ths, what is known as the
"Pythagorean tuning" (not temperament, as it isn't tempered) is mostly
known for its very wide major thirds (around 16 bps in the temperament
area). It is the difference between these "Pythagorean thirds" and "pure" 5
: 4 thirds that is termed the "syntonic comma."
	That's plenty of that. Back to bulk tuning in preparation for our
ridiculously early fall semester (1 1/2 weeks to go).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, August 12, 2003 12:56 AM -0500 Richard Moody