history of tuning

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:34:22 -0400

Elwood-
Perhaps you can find a copy of Musical Acoustics by Donald E. Hall =
(Wadsworth Publishing Co.)  The chapter on Harmonic Intervals and Tuning =
is remarkably lucid.  Hall is a physicist and musician, and a clear =
writer as well.  He presents the necessary terminology in a well =
organized sequence. In 25 pages he shows the relationship between =
acoustics, tuning history, temperament and music history.  I don't know =
anyone else who does such a good job.
Ed Sutton
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Elwood Doss, Jr.=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 10:25 AM
  Subject: history of tuning

  Anyone have a good source regarding Pythagoras and his contribution to =
tuning--especially the Pythagorean temperament.  I've studied =
Jorgenson's big red book (I happened to purchase one in 1994--even =
though I had little money at that time and less sense) and have gotten =
some information.  Any class notes, books, etc. would help.  I'm =
teaching a tuning class this fall and want to begin with a brief history =
of tuning.  Any help would be appreciated.

  Joy!
  Elwood

  Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT
  Technical Director/Piano Technician