damper problem

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:14:59 EDT

I just got done restringing a D, including new dampers. I also put on a new
set of h/s/f. As I was doing my last voicing, I discovered that when I put on
the shift, about 4 or 5 notes would not dampen the right string cleanly. Under
normal playing, these dampers work fine. But with the shift, the right string
rings on just a little more than I want. I tried adjust the damper head, but
to no avail. In fact, the more I tilted the head to the right, the worse the
problem got. When I tilted the head to the left, it didn't solve the problem
either. It is not the adjacent damper lifter holding the damper up. I checked
that. I'm at a loss.

Any one know why this is happening, and what I can do to correct the problem?

Wim