damper problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:46:24 EDT

Wim writes:

<< >I just got done restringing a D, including new dampers. I also put on a
>new set of h/s/f. As I was doing my last voicing, I discovered that when I
>put on the shift, about 4 or 5 notes would not dampen the right string
>cleanly. Under normal playing, these dampers work fine. But with the
>shift, the right string rings on just a little more than I want.
>Any one know why this is happening, and what I can do to correct the
problem? >>

New strings are probably not going to be exactly level for some time. That
will exacerbate a problem like this.  Una corda damping is usually worse, since
you have a string that is not moving, or moving out of phase with the two that
are struck.  This tends to interfere with the damper's wedging action.
  Check the level, don't point the problem out to anyone that plays the
piano, and wait and pray for a week or two.  This may solve itself. If not, you may
need a cliff to jump off of........
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/