damper problem

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:57:07 -0500

Yeah, I agree with what Ed said about letting the dampers settle in for a
bit (praying never hurts, either...). Also, be aware that levelling strings
can impact damping, for better or for worse. You might check string level
just to be sure the dampers are properly mated. And be sure to check the
spacing of the strings through the agraffes. You don't mention what area of
the piano is having this problem, but I am guessing it is in the trichord
wedges just above the tenor break. If the string spacing is uneven, then
the tips of the trichord wedge dampers may not fit as snugly on one side as
on the other. You can give judicious squeezes to the "fat" side of the
damper felt (out of the piano, of course).

Mary