filling Dampp-Chasers

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:01:17 -0500

Good one Fred.

A former student-assistant here found a portable shower-head with a short
hose, and a rubber thing that fits over faucets on the other end.

It worked just fine, until the janitorial head who spawned the idea by
refusing to grant us keys for four years running, retired and put an end to
all our ingenious fun. :>)

Anyone progress with ideas for porting the water from room to room?

Until Otto divulges the authentic "fire-fighters nickname" for the back-pack
unit he described in Dallas, we're doomed to toting a 10 gallon garbage can
up and down hallways on a 4-wheeled cart.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 5:30 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: filling Dampp-Chasers

	Keeping a bunch of Dampp-Chaser systems filled is a bit of a task. It's
nice to use a large tank of some sort, but getting water into the tank from
an available faucet can be a challenge. A key (or access) to the janitors
closet can help, but it is often far away from the systems needing water.
	I just came up with a solution to this problem that fit my budget (didn't
cost a red cent): an old bicycle innertube (the smaller, "English" style,
as opposed to fat, "mountain bike"). One cut, and it turns into a hose that
fits over a faucet quite nicely. Innertubes do have a white powder
(probably talc) inside, so need to be flushed. But it saved me a few
minutes this morning.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
PS Best to avoid modern innertubes filled with "Slime" (a green substance
used to stop flats). I'm not sure you could flush that stuff out.