filling Dampp-Chasers

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:08:00 -0700

Had an interesting developement over the summer, in that the AC compressor
for the main recital hall & large classroom packed it in.  As a result,
those areas, as well as all the studios around them were much hotter than
usual this summer.  This has also been a much hotter summer than we have
seen in some time.

However, though the pianos were in need of tuning, they have remained much
closer to pitch than expected.  In general, they were within 2-5 cents of
pitch -- in contrast to Alan's 20-30 cent swing just 60 miles or so up the
road at EWU.  We have virtually no humidity control here, yet the pitch
swings are very manageable for the most part.  Pitch adjustments are
required, but are not the general fare.  These generally come on the new
pianos and Wurlitzer studios, which one would expect anyway.  Do you have
"humidity control" on the hvac system in your building?  I assume so, since
it is much newer than our buildings.  If we were down east, or in the
mid-west, we would
be managing the pitch much like one does a yo-yo.

There seems to be some move afoot on the part of the upper admin. to fix the
problems with the music building, which makes me somewhat nervous.  I need
to get a data logger in here to see what's really happening so we can have
some intelligent input into the process.  Otherwise the cure may be worse
than the disease.

Otto