filling Dampp-Chasers

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:52:02 -0600

Hi Alan,
	Our university server has finally cleared out enough worms and viruses
(and mostly overload caused by the latter) that I can receive and reply to
emails, at least sporadically.
	After 15 years, I now have a grand total of three full systems installed.
Patience is the operative word here. Let me recommend a gradual approach,
beginning with half systems on a few critical pianos, then a few more, then
some upgrades to full systems. Half system being humidistat plus adequate
drying tubes - at least one 50 watt, for grands plus one or two additional,
possibly lower watt. I like the dry humidistat for my climate anyway, but I
think the dry would be best just about anywhere for this application -
would keep the piano within the low end of the cycle (assuming the ambiant
humidity goes below 35% on a regular basis).
	I have a couple Steinway B's with half systems with one 50w and one 25w
installed along with dry humidistat, and another B with just one 25w with
standard humidistat (that's what I originally used, maybe 12 years ago).
The higher wattage pianos were plus and minus 8 to 10 cents (up to plus 10,
up to minus 8) at the end of the summer (high pitch time here). The low
wattage was plus 10 to 25 cents. I don't have any naked B's now, but they
used to be plus 15 to 40 cents.
	I also have a couple B's with G6PS installed (full system, with 50w and
37w drying units). Both were within plus or minus 5 cents throughout.
	If you demonstrate the results to someone who will pay attention (a piano
faculty member?), you can possibly recruit an assistant lobbyist for funds
to install more.
	I like the idea of including a system in the purchase of any new piano.
The cost is insignificant in that context - less than 1% the cost of a
grand.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, August 20, 2003 12:25 PM -0700 Alan McCoy