Touch weight

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:11:20 EST

In a message dated 12/19/03 9:04:06 AM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:
The Steinway "Permafree II" action centers are impregnated with a teflon
solution, which lubricates and provides additional firmness. We had quite a
bit of discussion of this over the past couple months, with respect to
firmness versus friction.
    No other manufacturer uses this method. Most others are pure,
"unadulterated" felt, some have graphite applied to one surface. All others
will respond to lubrication with Protek, and/or to shrinking/sizing with
alcohol/water. Steinway will not respond to either, due to that
impregnation with teflon. Pure methanol, a controlled substance, is
available (at least in colder climes) as gas line "de-freezer." Eric
Schandall says he thinks ethanol will work as well.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
When I was at Steinway last summer, I could have sworn Eric told us to use
Protek on the bushings. I will see if I can find methanol here in "warm and
sunny" Alabama.

Wim