String buzz

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:51:42 EDT

jtanner@mozart.sc.edu writes:

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for listening, and sorry it took me so many characters to lay out
> the problem.
>
> Jeff

Jeff

The problem you describe, with the dampers lifting sooner in the treble than
the bass, sounds, like it might be a broken damper lift rod bracket. I had the
same problem on a similar vintage Yamaha. It might not look broken, but you
won't know until you pull the rod. That is actually very easy to do. You need
to remove three dampers from the tenor section at the break, and remove the
hanger bracket. This allow you to slide the rod out the treble end. I had to
replace the hanger, using a nail the same size, and bending it.

That should solve the bussing problem.

Wim