String buzz

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:11:43 -0400

Hi Wim,
Thanks.  I've done that repair once before on an old spinet.  Like you say,
it might not look broken - these didn't look broken, so I didn't think that
was the problem.  I thought maybe with the heavy pressure of the damper
springs, perhaps the hangers had bent slightly, and I was going to look at
that next time.  It works backwards, you know, with the damper pedal
lifting from the treble end so that the heavier springs are on the far end
from the lifter.  I also wonder how much has been lost at the bass sustain
joint from compression of the leather there.  But I've got to go back to
replace some of those butt flange cords, so I'll take a closer look at the
rod hangers while I'm at it.  If you're correct, I think it will be in the
tenor/treble section rather than the bass sustain section.

Is there a hole through that damper rod or will I have to bore one myself?
Jeff