Sohmer piano

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:23:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/03 11:46:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
dforman@rider.edu writes:

> Dear list,
> Someone is offering to donate a Sohmer Cupid model grand to our school. It
> was refinished, new pinblock and strings, action parts are all original.
> Soundboard and bridges are in good shape. We're thinking of putting it in a
> practice room. Someone-not a piano tech-told the owner that he should be
> able to get an appraisal of $10,000, which sounds way too much to me. Can
> anyone offer a ballpark figure on what a piano like this would be worth.
> Dave Forman
> Westminster Choir College of Rider University

An appraisal for tax purposes is different from an appraisal for selling the
piano. If the appraisal is written on a legal paper, (letter head of a piano
technician), it should hold up if questioned by an IRS auditor. Therefore, for
tax purposes, $10,000 for this Sohmer grand is OK.

Wim