Guidelines comments

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:20:59 -0600

--On Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:57 PM -0400 Wimblees@aol.com wrote:
>snip<
>  I'm trying to suggest a few ways to make the guidelines even better. It
> will require some more work on our part. But we've gone this far, so why
> not go the extra mile, and make it even better?

	I'm a little slow on the uptake, I guess. I should make clear that the
Guidelines now posted on the caut website are complete. It says draft only
because the final version will include a page of endorsements. An ad hoc
sub-committee worked for several months this fall to complete editing and
changes. The caut committee approved a final version and forwarded it to
home office. Board members gave a bit of input, and a few final changes
were made (mostly to syntax and format). So this is the 2003 version, and
no further changes will be made in the immediate future. Maybe after
another ten years.
	For now, the focus of the caut committee is on developing supplementary
materials aimed at contract techs and at small schools; developing a
curriculum of classes and other training for cauts with the aim of creating
some sort of "caut credential" (certificate of on-going education,
something along these lines); continuing to work with NASM to maintain and
raise our profile vis a vis that organization and the music departments it
serves; and ad hoc projects like developing a course outline and materials
for "piano tech" and related teaching cauts might do at their institutions.
	IOW, we've got a pretty full plate.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
Universidad de Nuevo Mexico