Guidelines comments

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:42:11 +0200

>     > I don't know, Wim. I can't see how we can argue that a
>     > piano _lasts_ longer
>     > if we do the recommended maintenance as you describe. In
>     > fact, it seems to
>     > me that doing what we recommend costs more and makes
>     > pianos last less long
>     > - or at least makes the components of pianos last less
>     > long. Regular hammer
>     > filing makes hammers die quicker; repinning shanks to
>     > maintain frictional
>     > parameters means more rapid replacement of shanks and
>     > flanges; regular
>     > re-stringing means more rapid replacement of pinblock;
>     > etc.

I find these two positions rather mutually exclusive. It seems argued
(and echoed thus by a few others) that we can not show that a piano will
<< last longer >> with maintainance. And the reasoning for not being
able to show this is claimed as being to difficult, to costly... along
those lines.  Then these same turn around and claim that the opposite is
true. How can these <<show>> that to be true any better ??

As far as the basic postulation... its frankly so counter intuitive to
think anything else it suprises me that its even an item up for
discussion. Of COURSE anything  << lasts >> longer if it is properly
maintained. Sure... you can find all kinds of perspectives and angles to
look at this basic truth which show really no more then this, as with
all other things, is not just a matter of black and white. But that
doesnt change the facts.

That being said...there exist a level of performance for concert
instruments that is too costly to maintain over time. I think,
however... if you are going to take that takt... you must be ready
change out heavy use concert instruments every 2 or 3 years. The
alternative (maintainance) is affordable and can provide very fine
quality for many years.

This is illustrated well by the point made below about hammers getting
beaten in... in a previous post this same makes a point that hammers
that are worn thus if reshaped cause sooner replacement of hammers.
Similar points are made about the shanks. Seems to me that the criteria
for needing to change parts in this case is actually the moment those
zings, dings, wobbles and bobbles first appear. And clearly...any
administrator who sees the truth of the matter, that an instrument will
loose that initial first top 2-3 percent of its performance capacitiy
forever and then can be held at 95 % motor for several years without
buying a new instrument, will opt for maintainence.

Typically, when a new concert instrument is first in order.... the old
one still has many potential years of use left as a practice instrument,
or in the room of a professor for instruction purposes. It will serve
those purposes better if it has been well maintained from the get go.

Counting beans is not just a matter of knowing whether or not you have x
amount of beans. Its knowing whether or not they they are drying out,
dried out, shriveling, shriveled, molding, molded, and rotten to the
core. A bit of care goes a long ways to keeping a bean healthy for many
years.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.