Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:36:20 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/03 4:49:00 PM Central Daylight Time, Wimblees@aol.com
writes:

> I'm wondering if we, as a committee, can come up with some general
> guidelines that gives more definitive information to the bean counters that will give
> them a better idea as to how long a piano will last if it is used x number
> of hours per year, and how often it needs to be reconditioned, or rebuilt.

Bean counters not withstanding, this is still a question I would like to have
answered.

Airplanes fly a certain number of hours before they are reconditioned and
eventually put in the graveyard out in Arizona. We get a maintenance schedule for
our cars. But what are some guidelines for pianos?

How many "hours" of playing do a set of hammers get before needing to be
replaced? How many times can we restring a piano in the original pin block. When
does a soundboard need replacing? How many times can a piano be rebuilt, with a
new soundboard and pin block and strings?

Last year this subject was talked about briefly, but I don't think we ever
got a definitive answer. I realize these are all questions with lots of answers,
based on usage, climate control, budgets, etc. But this is the kind of
information that would be useful, even to techs out in the field.

Any one want to give some answers?

Wim