Lets move on, was Re: Guidelines comments

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:27:16 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/03 5:19:39 PM Central Daylight Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> For now, the focus of the caut committee is on developing supplementary
> materials aimed at contract techs and at small schools; developing a
> curriculum of classes and other training for cauts with the aim of creating
> some sort of "caut credential" (certificate of on-going education,
> something along these lines); continuing to work with NASM to maintain and
> raise our profile vis a vis that organization and the music departments it
> serves; and ad hoc projects like developing a course outline and materials
> for "piano tech" and related teaching cauts might do at their institutions.
>   IOW, we've got a pretty full plate.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Fred

Yes, you've got a full plate. I'm sorry to get so vehement about this
subject. I guess I'm looking at it from another point of view, but that point is not
shared by others.

I think we got off the subject a little. But if there are going to be
supplements to the Guidelines, why not include some other information that could be
useful?

First, have the Guidelines been presented to administrators for feedback? As
said in a pervious post, WE have set down guidelines for how many piano tuners
it takes to.... But is this enough to get administrators to listen? If it is,
then all schools would have one tuner per 70 pianos. (or the equivalent). But
obviously that hasn't happened, yet. Maybe it's too early.

The other question that needs to be asked, is, are there enough techs to go
around? Lets suppose all school say, "hey, this is what we've been looking
for," and they all put an ad in the Journal. Are there enough qualified
technicians to go around? Again, maybe it's too early, but something we should think
about.

How are the Guidelines going to be distributed? Have we got a database of
schools with music programs, their tuners, and the chairs/directors?

Wim