Baldwin termination bars

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:07:36 +1000

Dave and Fred,

I owned an earlier SD-10 (1975) which we rebuilt in 1988 (we have
just sold the piano to a local enthusiast, and will be re-doing the
piano again later this year when it will get one of our actions and a
new key board). It has the one piece per section forged inserts as
Fred described. The string noise problem with these pianos is two
fold, the large radius of the bearing bars and the uniformly quite
long length of the front segments.

The large radius is the most significant problem. We took to the
inserts on our piano and reshaped them with an angle grinder,
reducing the bars to a smaller radius. This involves cutting a
considerable v into the 'joiner bars' adjacent to and between the
capo and front duplex bars, but it works just fine. This will improve
the tone very significantly. For those notes which remain noisy, the
problem will be that the front duplex length is very close to that of
a partial of the speaking length. You can detune any offenders by
placing a drop of glue onto the front duplex length segment. This
will increase the mass of the offending duplex to push its frequency
down to detune it, reducing its propensity to vibrate sympathetically
with the speaking length.

I use the glue-on-the-duplex trick quite regularly during the course
of tuning on the road.

The later SF-10 Baldwins used individual inserts with varying
lengths. This enabled an insert to be selected, for each note, with a
string segment length which was detuned to the speaking length
harmonics. It is a very nice idea.

Best regards,
Ron Overs

--