Baldwin termination bars

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:08:47 -0700

Re: Baldwin termination barsRon,

You have any pictures or drawings of this, especially of what you are
calling the "v in the joiner bars"

Alan
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Overs
Pianos
  Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 2:08 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: Baldwin termination bars

  Dave and Fred,

  I owned an earlier SD-10 (1975) which we rebuilt in 1988 (we have just
sold the piano to a local enthusiast, and will be re-doing the piano again
later this year when it will get one of our actions and a new key board). It
has the one piece per section forged inserts as Fred described. The string
noise problem with these pianos is two fold, the large radius of the bearing
bars and the uniformly quite long length of the front segments.

  The large radius is the most significant problem. We took to the inserts
on our piano and reshaped them with an angle grinder, reducing the bars to a
smaller radius. This involves cutting a considerable v into the 'joiner
bars' adjacent to and between the capo and front duplex bars, but it works
just fine. This will improve the tone very significantly. For those notes
which remain noisy, the problem will be that the front duplex length is very
close to that of a partial of the speaking length. You can detune any
offenders by placing a drop of glue onto the front duplex length segment.
This will increase the mass of the offending duplex to push its frequency
down to detune it, reducing its propensity to vibrate sympathetically with
the speaking length.

  I use the glue-on-the-duplex trick quite regularly during the course of
tuning on the road.

  The later SF-10 Baldwins used individual inserts with varying lengths.
This enabled an insert to be selected, for each note, with a string segment
length which was detuned to the speaking length harmonics. It is a very nice
idea.

  Best regards,
  Ron Overs

--