Baldwin termination bars

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:07:32 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_002F_01C331B5.221A5AE0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: <fssturm@unm.edu>
To: "College and University Technicians" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: June 13, 2003 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: Baldwin termination bars

>    >    I told him I thought he'd just need to bite the bullet, pull =
the strings, pull the unit,=20
> and see what he saw. =20

This piano may well have at least part of two separate problems. First, =
there may be a mounting problem as witnesses by the tightening of the =
attachment screws. If there is any gap at all between the termination =
piece and the plate--especially under the capo tastro bar--there will be =
a potential for a buzz. As I understand things, this is one reason why =
the change was made from multiple unison pieces to individual unison =
string termination pieces. The only way to tell for sure will be to =
remove the section, check the surfaces and bed the section tightly using =
a steel or brass filled epoxy. I would follow Roger's advice and have =
the string termination bars smoothed and hardened as well.=20

The second problem is one which has always plagued this design. The =
string termination angles are too shallow and front duplex string =
lengths are too long to provide efficient string termination. On the =
individual termination pieces I have successfully ground off the front =
(toward the tuning pins) bearing bar and replaced it with a brass =
half-round. So far this has proven to be a permanent fix. The following =
drawing, which I hope makes it through the ether, should illustrate:

This shows the individual termination piece, but hopefully your friend =
will get the idea.

> He feels sqeamish about it, lacking the old devil may=20
> care spirit, and wondering what happens if he gets it apart and =
doesn't find=20
> anything. How can he charge for his time without assurance  it will be =

> productive. The age old problem. (My own solution is to eat the time =
and call it=20
> educational expense).=20

Somehow I don't ever notice my doctor or my mechanic losing any sleep =
over this as they bill me for their experiments.=20

>    So anyway, I thought I'd throw the problem before this forum of =
wise,=20
> experienced, skilled pandits in hopes that someone will say, "Hey, I =
had just that=20
> same problem, and this is how I solved it," so as to ease my poor =
colleague's=20
> nerves.

Well, it's a common enough problem with these pianos. But the symptoms =
can be relieved per Roger's suggestions or it can be permanently solved =
per the above. It all depends on how much the client is willing to pay =
for the solution.

Del
------=_NextPart_001_002F_01C331B5.221A5AE0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...