request information

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:15:03 EDT

Dear esteem CAUT list,
  I am seriously contemplating entering the work place of the conservatory or
university sector as a full-time technician.  I would love to get some
feedback about the pros and cons of working in that environment. I have been an
independent technician for the past 22 yrs., and the very thought of giving up my
freedom is worthy of my complete and honest consideration. However the cost of
health care and lack of funded benefits as an independent worker are becoming
ever-increasingly strained.
As a former music student and graduate of music school, I am fully aware of
the music school environment. However the roll of piano technician and how they
relate and exist along the music faculty and student becomes an extreme
balancing act. I
would love to hear perspective in this matter.

Tom Servinsky, RPT