CAUT credential was Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:45:23 -0600

I have a few comments to add to this discussion.
1) Additional training beyond RPT would, in early committee discussion, involve
not just taking a few classes at conventions, but also such possibilities as the
Steinway Academy, Little Red Schoolhouse, Yamaha factory training, Kawai
training seminar. (Understand we are in the conceptual phase, so nothing is
settled yet, even as a draft proposal). It would involve some mix of a variety of
training options. In my own conception, we would list specifically what the RPT
had attended/participated in, with a notion of establishing what constituted a
minimum, showing whether additional work had been done as well.
2) We would hope to develop some classes in addition to those currently offered
(Bill described some possibilites), and "take them on the road" to various
regional seminars, making them more available.
3) I hesitate calling this "certification." Rather, it would be an indication that the
tech had taken advantage of appropriate training opportunities, and was active
in continuing education. This obviously doesn't guarantee "excellence" or "high
skill level" or "ability to organize a complex set of tasks," etc. But it does indicate
an active person, who is consciously taking advantage of opportunities. And I
think that is something that would be attractive and helpful in the academic job
market.
4) Having such a credential will help to make academic administrators aware of
the same training opportunites, with the possibility that (gasp) they might want to
underwrite same. (I made my chair aware of the Steinway week long seminars.
It sounded great to him, and he agreed to pay for me to attend. Funding on-
going training of an employee is standard practice, even in academia).
5) Marketing this to contract schools will at least make the decision-makers
aware that RPT's are out there, and that specific CAUT related training is
available. It gives a way for the trained and qualified tech to stand out among
the crowd in a positive way. And in some cases might even out-weigh "lowest
bidder." Or at least we can dream.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
Universidad de Nuevo Mexico