request information

Dave Forman dforman@rider.edu
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:20:35 -0400

Tom,
I work at the college that I graduated from 23 years ago. For many years
I was part-time at WCC, did outside tuning work, and worked as a church
organist/director. I have been fulltime at WCC for 5 years now, and I
wouldn't want to have it any other way. I still work at the church,
which gives me my musical outlet, while the university job pays the
bills. The benefits and time off are very good. I have a very good
working relationship with the faculty and administration here, which I
know I'm very lucky to have.  One other reason I like it this way-my
younger son graduates from high school this Wednesday, and will be going
to Rider University tuition-free this fall. I know that not all
universities offer this, but for the ones that do, this is a huge
benefit, knowing what it costs for my older son to go to Drexel
University. Yes, there are pros and cons  either way, but for me,
university work has been a very positive experience.
Dave Forman
Westminster Choir College of Rider University

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Tompiano@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 12:15 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: request information

Dear esteem CAUT list,
  I am seriously contemplating entering the work place of the
conservatory or university sector as a full-time technician.  I would
love to get some feedback about the pros and cons of working in that
environment. I have been an independent technician for the past 22 yrs.,
and the very thought of giving up my freedom is worthy of my complete
and honest consideration. However the cost of health care and lack of
funded benefits as an independent worker are becoming ever-increasingly
strained.
As a former music student and graduate of music school, I am fully aware
of the music school environment. However the roll of piano technician
and how they relate and exist along the music faculty and student
becomes an extreme balancing act. I
would love to hear perspective in this matter.

Tom Servinsky, RPT