University curiousity?

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:32:09 EDT

Dave,
 I am one of those younger energetic techs who currently puts the long hours
in and can crank up the annual income into respectable figures. I have just
put 1 child through college, one more graduating in the fall, and 2 younger ones
in private school (5th and 7th grade).  When I add up all the perks I have to
provide for myself (health insurance, schooling,nice neighborhoods to live
in, vacations, etc) there's price that comes with the territory. At the end,
there's obviously a net gain in the form of lifestyle I have become quite
accustomed to.
But on the other end of the argument comes having some true time off without
the worry of "I need to be working".  Plus having the collective benefit of
provided health insurance. Plus the added benefit of tuition tradeoff if you are
a state university employee. Those come a very steep price and I'm trying
equate how much is that worth.
And then there are the music school politics which can be an issue within
themselves. Just ask any tech who has a disgruntled faculty member always
second-guessing them.
And then there is the obvious gross reduction in net pay one has to learn to
live within. I assume that those who do work in the university sector also
subsidize their income with outside work.
So it with this I find myself doing some very deep soul-searching and wonder
if I could (in fact) , make a major change and find solace in that sector.
Yes, the grass does look green on the other side. Red-rose glasses are off
and I'm trying to see the true colors.
Tom Servinsky, RPT