University curiousity?

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:53:59 -0500

Tom:

I really appreciate your openness and candor.  I am looking at some
of these same issues.  One advantage I have is 17 years of history
with these people.  I'm very fortunate in that regard in that this is
a very collegial group and the infighting and ego-posturing is really
quite minimal.  The piano faculty are very nice human beings.  I do
hear some of the horror stories from other technicians at other
schools, and I'm thankful for the people with whom I work.

I am past some of the issues you have in that both of my kids are now
on their own, everything but my newest car is paid for.  The very
highest regular expense I have is my health insurance.  The next
highest is the tax bite, much of that the self employment tax.

I am trying very hard to look at real figures and not just kid myself
about the issues. Sometimes it does seem like comparing apples to
oranges and to some extent it really is.  We're both probably looking
for some magical spreadsheet where we could plug in the various
numbers and have an answer appear at column X row 73!  If I find one
I'll be sure to let you know.

dave