University curiousity?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:39:05 -0400

Dave Porritt wrote:
>  The very highest  regular expense I have is my health insurance.  The
>next highest is the tax  bite, much of that the self employment tax.

And that will continue as a staff CAUT as well.  However, with a wife, 3
children, a mortgage, and one of the nations highest property tax on
automobiles rates, I will receive a full refund of federal income taxes
next year.  But we pay "self-employment" tax as well, which we don't get
back.  It's called FICA.  The university pays the other half, and so this
amount is included in the figure the university calls "total value of
benefits".

Besides, you get to deduct mileage.  Once you become a full-time commuter,
that's out the window.  If I could deduct commuter mileage that would come
out to roughly $2900, whereas the university's contribution to my
"self-insurance tax" (Social Security Match) is just under $3000.  I still
have to pay the other $2777.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician