University curiousity?

Dave Forman dforman@rider.edu
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:03:05 -0400

Jeff,
You're right about the health insurance. Rider covers me, but I would
have to pay extra for the family. My wife works in a public school
system which covers her, our sons, and would cover me if I didn't have
coverage-a wealthy district. I didn't realize some universities were
cutting tuition remission. Is that mostly at state schools? Rider is an
independent university, and tuition is much higher than New Jersey's
state universities, so maybe that is the reason. And yes, cost of living
is something to consider. Princeton, where  Westminster is located, has
a very high cost of living (starter homes in Princeton are $250,000). I
live in southern New Jersey near Philadelphia, where the cost of living
is lower; can't afford the Princeton area. Of course I have a 50 minute
commute one way, on good traffic days. Like I said, pros and cons.
Dave Forman
WCC

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Be . Jeff
Tanner
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 3:39 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: University curiousity?

Dave Porritt wrote:
>  The very highest  regular expense I have is my health insurance.  The
>next highest is the tax  bite, much of that the self employment tax.

And that will continue as a staff CAUT as well.  However, with a wife, 3
children, a mortgage, and one of the nations highest property tax on
automobiles rates, I will receive a full refund of federal income taxes
next year.  But we pay "self-employment" tax as well, which we don't get
back.  It's called FICA.  The university pays the other half, and so
this
amount is included in the figure the university calls "total value of
benefits".

Besides, you get to deduct mileage.  Once you become a full-time
commuter,
that's out the window.  If I could deduct commuter mileage that would
come
out to roughly $2900, whereas the university's contribution to my
"self-insurance tax" (Social Security Match) is just under $3000.  I
still
have to pay the other $2777.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner