CAUT credential was Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:44:20 EDT

Ahhh, you finally hit on something which other professions associated with
schools  have, which we, don't have...a union for collective bargaining.  This
is the one area where unions have been successful at protecting the interests
of the workers and forced institutions to follow strict guidelines.
If we were a member of a Technicians Union then maybe some of this could be
implemented into the hiring process.  That being said, it has been my
understanding that the general population of techs, are not in favor of tightly kept
regulations, such as entry level standards, ongoing education, etc, which comes
with this territory.
Personally, I'm in favor of more regulations as the bigger picture provides
more stability for our industry.
However, and painting with a broad brush, the majority of piano technicians
are far too independent and enjoy their freedom to whatever and whenever they
please. Everything comes with a cost.
Tom Servinsky, RPT