Union; was CAUT credential was Let's cut to the chase

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:00:45 -0400

Hi Tom,
Unions probably wouldn't work, particularly for state schools.  State
employees (in SC, anyway) are not allowed to be members of any union.  It
might be a good thing for helping private techs to be able to get real
group health insurance, though.  That could be incentive enough to
encourage techs to meet some entry level standards, etc.

But CAUT techs don't need a union just to increase salary.  We just need
more techs clamoring for raises rather than taking the approach that "well,
this is what the job pays, I'll just be happy with it.  I could earn more
driving a truck, but I like this better."

Jeff