CAUT credential was Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:45:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/03 1:45:51 PM Central Daylight Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> 3) I hesitate calling this "certification." Rather, it would be an
> indication that the
> tech had taken advantage of appropriate training opportunities, and was
> active
> in continuing education. This obviously doesn't guarantee "excellence" or
> "high
> skill level" or "ability to organize a complex set of tasks," etc. But it
> does indicate
> an active person, who is consciously taking advantage of opportunities. And
> think that is something that would be attractive and helpful in the academic
> job
> market.

This is a concept with which I could agree. Professors are hired on not just
the degrees they have, but also on additional classes, programs, and work
experience. If, in addition to being a RPT in the PTG, (or even an Associate), we
can include on our resumes additional courses in "university piano
management," or the Little Red School House, it will improve our status, and hopefully,
our salary.

Wim