Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Hans E Sander hesand01@louisville.edu
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:15:01 -0400

Ed, and all of you interested in the German piano certification process:

We need to be careful making general statements about this process. It
is still true in Germany, that only a "Meister" (Master) is allowed to
take on and teach an apprentice for up to 3 1/2 year. This is so in many
other trades like carpentry, painting, sales, bricklaying, you name it.
At the end of this time the apprentice has to take a state examination
to become a "Geselle" (Journeyman). The same training can be done in
factories, stores, companies etc. under the condition, that they employ
a "Meister" in charge of or at least overseeing the training. To become
a "Geselle" has the advantage for much better wages over somebody
untrained and it is the sole requirement for becoming a "Meister" in the
future. Don't forget, only a Meister is allowed to train and hire
apprentices. Apprentices are only paid pocket money. Many are happy and
successful as a Geselle and don't want to spend the extra time and money
to become a Meister.  There is no law in Germany to my knowledge
preventing a carpet layer from advertising piano tuning, repair,
rebuilding. It is the same in this country, but the general public in
Germany knows the difference between a "Meisterwerkstatt" (Master
workshop) and a carpet layer. Traditionally this was done in my country
for hundreds of years.
Now, however, Europe is taking shape. They already have the same
currency and are aiming at the same benefits, the same laws, the same
everything if it suits the have less, with maybe the only exception of
language. So in the near future, Germany has to give up all that good
tradition of Master Craftsman, because many other member states never
developed that system and are not interested in it. If the Germans don't
wake up pretty soon, I guess they all will be speaking French after the
next generation.
The apprentice training is done for 3 years and ends with a 3 months
course in Ludwigsburg and final examination at that school. If passed
successfully, you are a Geselle or journeyman. You should work at least
3 more years or longer before thinking about becoming a Meister. This
requires 6 months at the same school in Ludwigsburg with the final
examination. It is really not true that you have to build your own piano
from scratch, but you have learned so much piano technology that you
theoretically might want to build your own if you have enough money or
want to get broke.

Regards,
Hans Sander, RPT
Uuniversity of Louisville

>>> fssturm@unm.edu 06/16/03 09:42AM >>>
Ed,
	Briefly, the German certification system involves several years
of full
time school and apprenticeship, followed by an exam regimen in which,
among
other things, the candidate actually builds a piano. Very much in the
old
world tradition of the guild. In Germany, this certification is
required of
any independent piano technician - it's illegal to hang out a shingle
without one (there is an exception for someone who wants to hang out a
mere
"tuning" shingle).
	Bottom line, this is a very complex and cumbersome system, and
one which
will never happen in the US. That said, it is also quite admirable, and
we
in the US could learn a great deal from it. How to emulate? I'm not
sure.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Saturday, June 14, 2003 8:30 AM -0400 Ed Sutton
<ed440@mindspring.com>