Baldwin termination bars

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:18:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan McCoy" <amccoy@mail.ewu.edu>
To: "College and University Technicians" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: June 16, 2003 11:02 AM
Subject: RE: Baldwin termination bars

> Hi Fred, et al,
>
> There is a pianist here in Spokane who has described a Baldwin here as
> having "chaotic" sounds, in oct 5 especially. Ever since she said that I
> have noticed that every one of the Baldwins with these termination bars
has
> some unusual sounds. I have often thought, but have not yet taken the
sucker
> apart to poke around (although  taking it apart is unlikely to reveal the
> culprit), that the sounds were resulting from some sort of interplay
between
> the capo bar and the "terminators". If tightening the screws helped
reduce
> the problem, maybe making the interface between capo and terminator more
> solid is the ultimate solution. Perhaps something like "glassing the
block"
> applied to the capo.

Keeping in mind that this would probably only be an issue with the
short-lived single-piece design. At least that was my understanding--I
never did work with them, the switch to the individual unison style had
been made well before I went to work for the company. Most of what I "know"
about the earlier design has come from various factory workers and from
Baldwin Engineering of the time. For the individual unison types go with
Roger's suggestions or with mine if you want to get really serious about
them.

Del