Baldwin termination bars

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:02:35 -0700

Hi Fred, et al,

There is a pianist here in Spokane who has described a Baldwin here as
having "chaotic" sounds, in oct 5 especially. Ever since she said that I
have noticed that every one of the Baldwins with these termination bars has
some unusual sounds. I have often thought, but have not yet taken the sucker
apart to poke around (although  taking it apart is unlikely to reveal the
culprit), that the sounds were resulting from some sort of interplay between
the capo bar and the "terminators". If tightening the screws helped reduce
the problem, maybe making the interface between capo and terminator more
solid is the ultimate solution. Perhaps something like "glassing the block"
applied to the capo. We have a D that is also delighting us here with many
stange sounds, so I will do some experimenting (I hope this summer).

Alan McCoy