Baldwin termination bars

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:21:12 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0083_01C333F9.6515B2E0
Hey Del,

Do you have the diagram in a different format? Like a jpeg, or word or ? I
can make out the general ideas, but of course, the devil is in the details.
Thanks.

Alan McCoy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Delwin D Fandrich
  Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 2:08 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: Baldwin termination bars

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: <fssturm@unm.edu>
  To: "College and University Technicians" <caut@ptg.org>
  Sent: June 13, 2003 12:04 PM

  >    >    I told him I thought he'd just need to bite the bullet, pull the
strings, pull the unit,
  > and see what he saw.

  This piano may well have at least part of two separate problems. First,
there may be a mounting problem as witnesses by the tightening of the
attachment screws. If there is any gap at all between the termination piece
and the plate--especially under the capo tastro bar--there will be a
potential for a buzz. As I understand things, this is one reason why the
change was made from multiple unison pieces to individual unison string
termination pieces. The only way to tell for sure will be to remove the
section, check the surfaces and bed the section tightly using a steel or
brass filled epoxy. I would follow Roger's advice and have the string
termination bars smoothed and hardened as well.

  The second problem is one which has always plagued this design. The string
termination angles are too shallow and front duplex string lengths are too
long to provide efficient string termination. On the individual termination
pieces I have successfully ground off the front (toward the tuning pins)
bearing bar and replaced it with a brass half-round. So far this has proven
to be a permanent fix. The following drawing, which I hope makes it through
the ether, should illustrate:

  This shows the individual termination piece, but hopefully your friend
will get the idea.

  > He feels sqeamish about it, lacking the old devil may
  > care spirit, and wondering what happens if he gets it apart and doesn't
find
  > anything. How can he charge for his time without assurance  it will be
  > productive. The age old problem. (My own solution is to eat the time and
call it
  > educational expense).

  Somehow I don't ever notice my doctor or my mechanic losing any sleep over
this as they bill me for their experiments.

  >    So anyway, I thought I'd throw the problem before this forum of wise,
  > experienced, skilled pandits in hopes that someone will say, "Hey, I had
just that
  > same problem, and this is how I solved it," so as to ease my poor
colleague's
  > nerves.

  Well, it's a common enough problem with these pianos. But the symptoms can
be relieved per Roger's suggestions or it can be permanently solved per the
above. It all depends on how much the client is willing to pay for the
solution.

  Del

------=_NextPart_001_0083_01C333F9.6515B2E0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...