Let's cut to the chase

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:05:14 -0700

Richard is right on the mark.  We need to think creatively not only about ways to
spend money but ways to raise it as well.  To that end Interlochen Center for the
Arts recently created what I think may be the first endowed chair of piano
technology in the country.  There isn't enough money in the account at this time to
fund an entire position, but I can either turn the money back to increase principal
or use the interest every year to supplement the base salary the administration
allocates for that position in order to make the salary more competitive.  At some
point there could very well be a million dollars in the account from which $50K a
year could be drawn to fund a second position.

Charitable gift annuities (which virtually every non-profit in the country is
selling these days) is another way to creatively supplement a program as one can
designate a specific beneficiary at the time they're set up.  The bottom line with
any of these methods is to creatively find ways to fund programs through donations,
savings and investment rather than increased allocations from the general fund.  If
you want to see doors fly open at your school this is one way to do it.

People will donate to building campaigns and endowed faculty chairs as monuments to
their philanthropy -- less to unspecified projects and operating funds.  We should
be pushing school administrators to think about funding the piano technology
function the same way they do opera, musical theater and chamber music.  The more
positions that can be funded through endowments and restricted funds the more
operating funds can be allocated for such things as instrument acquisition,
restoration and higher salaries for faculty and staff.

Rolf von Walthausen