raising salaries/budgets, was Let's cut to the chase

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:41:48 -0600

	My department is pursuing another way to establish a regular budget for
pianos - course fees targeted specifically at pianos. This arose from a
very recent NASM review, which I participated in (I wrote the review of the
condition of pianos, together with a plan for improving the situation,
including an annual budget for the purpose). We were re-accredited, but
with three things noted that needed improvement, including the piano
situation. And with the proviso that a year later we report to NASM on the
progress being made.
	My chair took this to the provost's office, suggested a course fee to
cover the proposed annual budget for pianos, and got a favorable respose.
So he had me draw up a more detailed spreadsheet as to exactly how this
would work. It is mostly for the purpose of regular replacement of pianos -
to bring the inventory to an acceptable "average age" and maintain that
into perpetuity (though 20 years seems to be a longer horizon than our
administration cares to look at. 10 to 15 is about max for most purposes).
I threw in an items for hiring a contract tuner to handle bulk practice
rooms and the like, for rebuilding parts, and for contracting out some
re-building.
	The plan continues to percolate through the upper levels, but my chair is
optimistic it will be approved. $5 per credit hour fee, generating circa
$50-60,000 per annum ($40-45,000 would go entirely to piano replacement,
the rest to maintenance). We already have a "technology fee" (same dollar
amount) in place throughout the College of Fine Arts, targeted at computers
and the like, and including paying for support staff. And various other
fees as well. We survive on course fees and endowment income, though the
latter is mostly for scholarships. The "allocated account" (what we get
from the university budget) doesn't quite cover salaries, let alone any
other expenses.
	So there is another possible source of funding. I should add that our
department and college are _very_ actively pursuing fund-raising efforts,
going out into the community to seek donations for any number of purposes
and for endowments. This seems to be the reality of even so-called "public"
institutions today (UNM gets only 20% of its budget from state
appropriations. Amazing, no?) One thing the fundraisers need is a set of
well-articulated needs and plans to meet them - which is where we can help.
The piano replacement plan I articulated could also be the basis to raise
an endowment.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, June 17, 2003 10:05 PM -0700 Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy