take this job and shove it (was let's cut..)

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:12:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/03 1:52:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
Rick.Florence@asu.edu writes:

> It seems to me that real job security (and a decent salary) in our
> profession comes from two sources:

Hey Rick

This, I think, is what led Jeff to make his comments. Maybe you have a decent
salary, but there are lots of schools out there who are not paying enough.
Furthermore, job security lasts only as long as the budget holds out. If the
state decides to cut the education budget, piano tuning is not going to be at the
top of the list. It probably won't make it above groundskeepers, and maybe
even the carpenters.

So while you might be basking in the sun in your spare time, there are some
CAUTs who have to work over and above our regular day job to make ends meet. No
matter how good we are, and how much we think we are needed, and how much the
faculty might appreciate us, it's when we get complacent that we are the
greatest risk. Yes, let's use our creativeness to make our jobs more exciting. But
let's not get cocky, either.

Wim