take this job and shove it (was let's cut..)

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:29:18 -0700

Wim,

Sorry, I would have replied yesterday, but I was out basking in the sun.

I can't take too much credit for the "esteemed" position piano technicians
hold here at ASU, much of that goes to my predecessors and Brent Fischer, my
partner in crime.  Nevertheless, the School of Music administration does
consider our positions indispensable.  Arizona has gone though just as many
budget woes as other states and the university budgets have taken more than
their share of the cuts.  The fact is, groundskeepers, carpenters, and a few
School of Music staff members have been let go.  Even some faculty positions
have not been filled while we have been told our jobs are secure.  The ONLY
reason for such security is the fact that faculty would revolt in large
numbers at the thought of not having staff technicians on hand to keep up
studio pianos and check every piano before every recital.  Not so much
because they like us or appreciate our hard work, but because it would
directly affect their performance.  I am not claiming that all institutions
feel the same way.  What I am certain of, however, is job security comes
from such faculty support and not through CAUT guidelines, PTG
certifications, or any other program generated by technicians.

When I mentioned being creative, I wasn't talking about making our jobs more
exciting, I was alluding to finding new ways to working around our financial
woes (like endowed positions).  I don't know very many university
technicians who don't supplement their salaries without some outside work.
If your faculty and director are on your side, there is quite a bit of
leeway in this field - from extremely flexible schedules, to extra time off,
allowing outside work to make up for the wage that the director wishes he
could pay you.

I am aware there are college and university positions that are thought of
simply as a necessary evil.  I truly am sorry such positions exist.  My
point still remains the same, however, if it is that bad, leave.  No one is
holding a gun to your head.

Rick