take this job and shove it (was let's cut..)

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:16:12 -0500

At 13:02 6/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/20/03 10:48:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
>jtanner@mozart.sc.edu writes:
>
>>So, this is the point of what I've written.  Both to encourage interested
>>techs to hold out for a base salary that won't require outside work to just
>>pay basic costs of living, and to make the point that if the CAUT field is
>>going to attract more qualified techs, the salary average needs to go up.
>>And that's not going to happen until more CAUTs start asking for more
>>rather than accepting a salary which qualifies for Medicaid in order to get
>>lower health insurance costs.
>

>Part of the problem also is the fact that for the most part, unlike other
>civil servants at a university, like groundskeepers, and even secretaries,
>there is just one piano tech. We can't band together to ask for higher
>pay. Even the faculty can get together and demand higher pay. I don't know
>how it is at other universities, but faculty in different colleges get
>different pay. The College of Arts & Sciences are on the low end, while
>the Law school faculty get the most. Their argument is that the school has
>to offer higher salaries to attract higher qualified lawyers to teach.
>Unfortunately, the same mentality doesn't seem to apply to other
>departments, much less the piano tech.
>
>Wim

Adding to that, most of us are in what I call "Terminal Entry Level
Positions".

We are the only ones, so no chance of advancement.  Our pay scale will be
pegged to wherever we start,  riding up or down with cost of living, or
however they figure pay scales, but never getting to a higher scale since
we never are "promoted".

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.