More Realistic Test was RE: tuning exam in U.S.

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:24:03 -0400

    Maybe I should have said a little more.
    I like what Wichard and Woger are proposing here.
    The devil will be in the details, and I feel it would be a faster start to
select some texts, such as the _Five Lectures_ or the acoustic textbooks by Hall
or Benade, perhaps a history review such as the new edition of _Giraffes, Black
Dragons and Other Pianos_, and develop a written exam on the material in the text.
Select _Journal_ articles could also be made into texts on specific topics.  Once
developed, such tests would be easy to administer and objective to score.
    And hopefully, exciting to take and pass.....so that we could develop some
positive momentum on the project, which would help get us through the more
complicated development of advanced tests of mechanical and woodworking skills.
    The acoustic and historic knowledge that (we hope) informs our work, is a more
important basis than the mechanics and woodworking. There's no point in knowing
how to do it if you don't know when, why and where to do it. We have all seen work
that had the "how" without the "when" and "where."
    My vacation begins when I push the send button! Bye.
        Ed S.